Tuesday, August 10, 2010

First Days in Kathmandu

I've been here 3 days now, but it feels like much longer. I am loving it and am already starting to feel at home in some ways! Because I arrived after dark on Saturday night I wasn't able to gather much of a first impression, but when I climbed up on the roof of our hostel the next morning I was exhilarated to find myself in the midst of so much action! The houses are all jammed together and all the neighbours were out and about washing clothes, sitting on balconies and walking down the street selling fruit or offering repairs of some kind or another. The hostel where we're staying this first week is in Kalanki, a quiet neighbourhood (only after having ventured up to the main street and elsewhere in Kathmandu have I come to think of it that way) in the west part of the city.

The main street running through Kalanki is louder and more bustling than any place I have ever been. I could've used about 10 more eyes to take it all in when Lison (a volunteer from France) and I first went to explore on day 1 here. On top of all the cars and buses rushing everywhere in sheer chaos, the sides of the street are packed with shop after shop, side by side, each taking up only about 6 ft x 6 ft of space, but overflowing with items looking to be sold. Each of these shops specializes in usually just one thing, so we'd walk past raw meat sitting on a counter then see a wall full of shoes and the next second barrels of fruit. It goes like this past carpets, medicine, seeds, purses, vegetables, spices & powders, jewelry, fish and on and on. All the while as you walk you're dodging aside for motorcycles and taxis trying to squeeze around each other, tripping over stray dogs and ducking under overhanging items or umbrellas. That first day was a lot of fun. It still is, but at least now I know what to expect when I step outside.

There are 9 of us that started in-country training together on Monday and we'll be at the volunteer hostel for one week before going to the village of Lamatar for 2 night and then Royal Chitwan National Park for a few days in the second week. After that we each go to our own projects with our separate host families. There are also a number of short-term volunteers that are in and around the hostel coming and going at different stages in their projects. This first week we are doing language lessons 4 hours a day and have most of the afternoon free to explore around Kathmandu wherever we want. It's been surprisingly easy to get around either by local bus (with no schedule and only the guy hanging out the window calling out the name of its destination to use for a guess if it's the one you want) or by taxi (20 times more expensive to get to Thamel at 200 rupia if you bargain right, but as that translates to just $3 for 5 of us to cram into it still feels well worthwhile). Either way, given the apparent absence of any sort of traffic rules and excess of speed / carelessness about the proximity of other vehicles, I'm tempted to feel like I'm taking my life in my hands each time we do this. However, these drivers are professionals and I'm sure if they thought it to be unsafe in any way they would've installed seatbelts. So, with that in mind, I'm able to sit there calmly as we careen full speed on the right-hand (wrong) side of the road toward an oncoming bus and swerve only at the last possible instant between the cow and the barefooted guy on the bicycle.

In just 3 days here, I've already been able to see a million different parts of this city! Everywhere we walk is an adventure, and moments of clear skies have given way to great views of all the surrounding tall, steep, green hills. After having seen the same forecast on my BBC Nepal homepage every single day for the last 2+ months, I was expecting life here to feel just as dark and drenched as those images (below) appear:But the monsoon so far hasn't been quite as relentless as that picture suggests. Sure, there have been heavy downpours every single day, but there can be long patches of relief between them and, until today, they had all conveniently coincided with the times we were planning to be outside anyway.

Today, however, was a very different story. After enjoying sunshine and blue sky for a couple hours in Thamel, the rains abruptly started in full forced and we darted into the first restaurant we could find, soaked to the bone within seconds. We tried to wait it out a bit thinking it would lighten up and were in some ways successful as the rain was a bit lighter half an hour later. But when we emerged it was to find the street replaced with a river and waded through knee-deep water for about 20 minutes before managing to catch one of the suddenly very much in demand taxis. We saw once guy unknowingly step into an uncovered drainage hole and sink past his waist. We happily paid 300 rupia for that ride back.

10 comments:

  1. Yay! Your first blog post overseas! This is so exciting to hear about your adventures! I will anxiously await your next post. -Sandri

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good to hear you're there and what an amazing description of your new home, Sarah! How are you managing with the language? I'm sure your pre-trip studying in Calgary has been very helpful. Your monsoon rain story reminded me of some of our experiences in Costa Rica. Wow - watch out for those drainage holes!
    Love,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sarah~ Love the stories! Glad you are well and enjoying it. I've been thinking about you and hoping you have a great time! Love, Cousin Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's great to follow your discoveries Sarah. We also heard about your Hong Kong stopover, which probably feels like a distant memory already. Do you have sensory overload yet? Canada is a pretty quiet place, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good times! Sounds like the tuk-tuks have gotten a bit pricey since I was there...but hopefully you don't have to push yours out of a swamp like we did. Got the book back, dude - thanks for one of the nicest notes ever, too. Wicked. Keep on keepin' on, and learn how to say "Mo' MoMos, please" as fast as possible (I don't mean to say it as fast as possible, but just learn how to say it really soon) PS. did you copy down the address for the Pope of Nepal from my journal? If not let me know and I'll get it for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Georgia Moore8/12/10, 1:13 AM

    AWESOME SARAH, just send that to lonely planet and you've got a job for sure. I can not wait for future installments. Though I do have to correct you, the right side of the road IS the CORRECT side. HAHA.

    I'm still working through the book you gave me, thanks. Everyone that comes over has to have a flip through, its funny to listen to their comments and talk about places we have been.

    Has anyone commented on your australian accent Nepali?

    Things haven't changes here. Same same.
    Shoot me an e-mail if you need anything sent over. I know how good it is to get care parcels from home.

    Safe and happy travels to you.

    Georgie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhh, the brilliance of driving overseas. And I thought Canadians were crazies on the road... Glad to hear you are well and enjoying it! Your American family is excited to hear more! :) O...D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Take pictures and make observations early in your visit. Soon all this exotica will seem normal. Good stuff.

    Doug Koop

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want to hear specifics! Where you are doing everything. I am just picturing you eating momo's at Java in Thamel, or visiting the elephant breeding grounds in Chitwan. Oh...and...pictures would be great too. Thanksssss and love ya mean it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like you are having a fun. Hey I am a friend Julie V. Call me at 9841428965 if you need anything. I will be more than happy to help you!

    ReplyDelete