Saturday, February 5, 2011

Some New Photos

On the left this time, just to mix it up. I'm calling these "new" photos, but most of them are actually rather old. My photo-taking frequency has dropped substantially in the past couple months as hardly anything jumps out at me as strikingly different anymore.

The Swap Day photos do deserve some explanation, though. This was a tradition that started 6 years ago with my roommate at university. With me being an international student at the time,
we felt it was necessary to dedicate a day to the celebration of the vast cultural differences between us. Thus, I would dress up and act (interpret that however you wish) as American as I possibly could, while she would likewise do her best to look Canadian and
go around apologizing to everyone all day ("sorry, sorry, my fault, very sorry!"). Thus, the holiday was born and, as you can see with my nephew, is still going strong today. Just as I did back in the foreign land of the USA, where I would don traditional clothing and of course not leave home without my faithful pet bald eagle upon my shoulder, here in Nepal I happily adopted the traditional local clothing for the day. Pratik, like any typical Canadian, wore his red and white umbrella hat all day, whether indoors or out.

4 comments:

  1. HAH! I love the American flag playing card pinned on your shirt. Oooooh memories....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos Sarah and, as usual, equally colourful observations. I love the idea of Swap Day, eh? Did you take that maple leaf umbrella cap all the way to Nepal for that purpose, or do always have one handy? It's "Hockey Day in Canada" today - a marathon of hockey games from coast to coast on HNIC. Victoria's role is to host a street hockey tourney and I was planning to go watch some but it's socked in with pretty heavy rain. So there's your little reminder of Canajan culture in case you're forgetting it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Valentines Day Sarah and to all your readers!
    Mop

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually I can't take credit for the maple leaf umbrella cap. That gem was provided by a previous volunteer from Canada who had been here for a month before I arrived.

    Thanks for the reminders of home! This has got to be the longest I've gone without skates on my feet since "that time"! Sorry, I was about to write "since the age of...", but then thought I might as well take the opportunity to demonstrate just how it sounds when people in Nepal talk about the past, as per the latest post.

    Lots of love!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete