Thursday, May 19, 2011

A Mixture of Emotions

Well, the span of my experience here in Nepal is down to its final few moments. I’m not sure I had ever thought the last days would actually arrive, but now that it has I find my heart and mind to be rapidly flipping back and forth within a rather extreme range of emotions. It’s with great sadness that I’m leaving this place and saying goodbye to people who now feel very integral to my life. The connections I’ve made to some of my family and friends are stronger than I would’ve ever thought possible. The downside to this is that I will soon be living on the exact opposite side of the world and unable to see them anytime I want. But, the positive is that I know some of these relationships are now too strong to be broken by me moving some great distance away. They are lifelong bonds that I will always cherish. But at the very same time as I deal with the sadness of goodbyes, or perhaps a split-second before and after, I’m greatly excited about my upcoming adventure in Tibet / China and also know how happy I’ll be to be back at home when I finally reach there around the middle of July. It literally is only split-seconds in between these ecstatically happy and depressingly sad emotions, so it’s hard to say at any moment whether I’m more tempted to laugh, cry, dance, sulk, sing or wallow. At times I’ve attempted all of the above at once to the (unsurprising) result of confirming everyone’s view that I am, indeed, losing my mind.


First, to summarize Nepal. Though an impossible task, I would like to attempt to at least touch on what this experience has meant to me. When I think back to the beginning and all the daily confusions, uncertainties, tribulations, and unfamiliarities, I realize not only how far I’ve come in adjusting to this environment, but also in whole-heartedly embracing all that surrounds me here. Daily life in this no-longer-remotely-foreign land has come to feel perfectly natural. Second nature indeed. I will always be first of all Canadian, but I can’t help but feel a large part of me has now turned Nepali. [Wow, writing like this is difficult. I feel like none of my words are adequate to express what has happened in my time here. I now understand why every other volunteer blog I’ve ever read has merely trailed off before the end to leave all the readers hanging in the dark about how it all came to a close. Bear with me as I continue my attempt anyway.] In my time here I have learned a whole lot about myself, the world, and life itself. Being thrown into situations that are unexpected or often times unclear (due to language or other cultural barriers) is a great way for a person to find out how she will react to a huge range of circumstances. It forces a much closer look at oneself as many of the things we do without thinking or realizing can stand out as extremely odd in a place like this. And thus arises the question, “is it odd or not?”. “Which way is possibly the better way?” Then, of course, on the flip side are all the things people around here may do without thinking that struck me as different at first. There have just been so many stimulating thoughts to work out and ideas to consider. I’m glad I was able (and still amazed it was possible) to come for long enough that the thought of leaving didn’t even cross my mind for the bulk of my time here. That is what has allowed me to completely establish myself at the school, implement some long-term projects that I’m extremely proud of, totally immerse myself in the culture to explore all its fascinating depths and intricacies, gain great comfort with the language, and come to know and love many people here not only in their present condition, but also with full understanding of all their unique and varied histories. It’s also what makes it feel like such a painful uprooting at this point in time.


Now on to Tibet. I have a little over a week in between when I must leave Nepal (for visa reasons) and when my Tibetan volunteer project starts up, so after flying into Xining, China I’ll be going by train to tour around Lhasa and then on to the Everest Base Camp on the north side of the border with Nepal. It’ll be nice to have a brief journey as tourist to see at least a few things before joining up with a new host family and seeing more what daily Tibetan lifestyle is like. From Xining, where I’ll meet my host sister, it’s about a 14 hour bus ride in a southwesterly direction to what sounds like possibly one of the most remote places on earth. Having just attributed most of my joy and success here in Nepal to the length of time I was able to stay, it is with slight contradiction that I now head off for only a one month volunteering stint. Though I’m realistically aware of my limitations to make any substantial or lasting contributions in a short 4 week period, I’m still very much looking forward to the experience. I do hope to do some good, and my experience here will probably help me make the most of it, but it’s likely on this next stage I will gain a lot more from it for myself than I can ever hope to return. But I’ll give it my best shot anyway. The plan was to continue in the theme of teaching at a school, but the area was hit by a massive earthquake last spring and is still burdened by the recovery process. So along with teaching, there will likely be the chance to help rebuild as well. Once again, I find myself heading off into largely unknown territory with not much idea what exactly will be in store for me. Even after all this time in its next door neighbouring country, I have only vague notions about what this next stretch of time will be like. I’ll be sure provide as best descriptions as I can, though they may come quite a bit after the fact. I’m not sure how easily I might be able to find internet while there, and with the Chinese government being notoriously strict on internet censorship and that sort of thing, I likely won’t attempt another post until I’ve come back out again. So expect a bit of a hiatus until early July when I’ll be happy to provide a final recount of my experiences alongside the himalayas, this time from the other side. Namaste for now.


6 comments:

  1. We look forward to seeing you back in Canada, Sarah, but understand how gut-wrenching it must be to leave the people you have become so close to. It will be great to hear more of your stories, see more photos and learn just a bit of what you learned these past months. Thanks so much for sharing your journey with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this post, Sarah. Not an easy one to write. You've been deeply touched by the connections you've made and I know you've touched those people deeply in return. Your Nepali friends, family & especially Pratik, are no doubt finding this difficult too. You'll not be forgotten, Sarah. The work you accomplished and the friendships you've created will be your legacy & will have ripple effects into the future that one can't begin to imagine now.
    All the best on the next lap of your journey. I can't wait to give you a big hug in AB this summer.
    Love,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sis,
    Following your blog has been a great way to stay in touch with the experiences and thoughts you have had while in Nepal. Reading your last blog overwhelmed me with mixed emotions as well. On one hand, my heart hurts for the fact that you have to leave the life you've come to know in Nepal. Your Nepali family and students will be positively impacted by you for years (more likely forever) past your departure. I am proud, more than anything else right now, of you! I'm so proud of you for taking on this year adventure, for putting as much effort and ideas into changing people's lives as you did, and most of all proud of your never-faltering positive attitude. From sleeping on a hard "bed" to fully immersing yourself in a different culture and language, you have done something incredible this past year, that very very few people ever could or would! So, I too, am sad for your 11 months in Nepal to be coming to a close. But of course, on the flip side, I am beyond happy about the thoughts of being reunited with my best friend. I have missed you so much this year and just can't wait to have you back!!! Anyways, right now I mostly just wanted to say thanks for letting the rest of us live a little part of your journey from the outside, through your descriptive and intriguing blog entries!!! Wish you the best on the last leg of the adventure - enjoy Tibet and China! Love, Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the memories and insights kiddo! I can't say what I would like to say any better than Shirley, Sandi and Lorne.
    Love,
    Mop

    ReplyDelete
  5. Readers of Sarah's blog may find that she is unable to provide further updates until she gets back to Kathmandu on July 3, or back to Canada around July 7, as she is finding that she can't access the blogspot in China. However, she is now settled into her new position in the town of Chendou, Tibet, (not to be confused with the metropolis of Chengdu in Szechuan). She is working to help rebuild from last year's devastating earthquake, and also hopes to do some teaching in the evenings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the update. We were wondering how things were going for Sarah. Wishing her well!

    ReplyDelete